Composite roofing is a very common roofing material. It is one of the least expensive roofing material choices, and it is quite durable. Composite shingles come in many different colors and styles. Most manufacturers offer upwards of a 50 year warranty. Though certain environmental factors such as hail damage may void your manufacturers warranty.
There are a myriad of composite shingle styles and colors. Some mimic slate shingles, others are specially made for storm resistance. Synergy Roofing & Remodeling Solutions is an Atlas Signature Select Contractor. This gives you access to the exclusive Atlas Roofing’s Shingle Visualizer.
LONG-TERM EFFECTS OF HAIL IMPACT ON ASPHALT SHINGLES – AN INTERIM REPORT
SCOTT J. MORRISON
Haag Engineering Co.
Carrollton, Texas, U.S.A.
Following are findings of this study:
• Dents in asphalt shingles caused by impacts that did not cause initial fractures did not change measurably during the study and, hence, were not functional damage.
• For the three-tab shingles tested, impacts that dislodged granules did not expose asphalt nor affect the service life of the material and, therefore, were not functional damage.
• Some impacts made with freezer ice on laminated shingles dislodged granules from exposures without exposing asphalt. Granules subsequently were shed at impact locations over time with natural weathering. Careful examination at these locations revealed a continuous bed of granules immersed in the asphalt. There was no reduction in the expected service life of the shingles as granules on the shingles continued to protect the underlying asphalt and reinforcement. The condition was not functional damage, but merely a cosmetic condition.
• Fractures in shingles caused by impacts from simulated hailstones widened but did not propagate visibly during the study.
.• Impact-caused fractures in shingles exposed to natural weathering exhibited progressively more rounded / tapered edges and more oxidized gray colors of asphalt as exposure time increased.
• New asphalt shingles with organic or fiberglass reinforcements exhibited similar impact resistance.
• Weathered asphalt shingles with organic reinforcements were sensitive to impact damage, whereas those with fiberglass reinforcement were not.
• Functional damage to shingles caused by impacts was immediate and identifiable.
Sandra and Rafael G. – Waxahachie
Scott V. – Dallas
John S. – Arlington
Karen L. – Irving
Tanya T. – Waxahachie
Richard T. – Waxahachie
TIM and SHARON C.
Roofing, Siding, Gutters, and Remodeling, Workmanship Warranty, Atlas Roofing Signature Select Contractor, Manufacturer Warranty Assistance, Special Programs for Large Projects & HOAs, 24/7 Service Request